Londonderry Port & Harbour Commissioners was first established by Act of Parliament in 1854. As an Independent Statutory Authority the Port has a duty to develop, maintain and operate to the highest standards of efficiency, financial prudence, environmental awareness, safety and security. The Port is independent of Government and is self-financing. All financial surpluses are reinvested in the business for the benefit of future generations of stakeholders.
Originally located in the heart of Derry City, the Commissioners relocated to the current deep water location at Lisahally in 1993. Lisahally Terminal has 440 metres of quay and can facilitate vessels up to 62,000 GRT. The Port is primarily a bulk port and a major importer of oil, coal, animal feed, fertiliser and plywood, all essential commodities for the North West rural region. The organisation has experienced significant growth since 2003 doubling both turnover and profit and has attracted approximately £100 million of inward investment to the region supporting projects including a fertiliser plant, an oil tank farm and a biomass power station.
Today the port handles approximately 2 million tonnes of cargo per annum and the value of trade passing through our regional gateway is estimated at £1 billion. Facilitating the import of essential agri-products the Port is estimated to support approximately 20,000 farms in the North West and various local business sectors including the fuel/oil and construction industries. The organisation also supports an estimated 1000 direct and indirect jobs.
Foyle Port offers a diverse range of services including external marine and engineering services each marketed under the "Foyle" Brand.